Here’s the latest stats on the HIV cases in the Philippines:
- 758 new cases for November, 2016
- 40% of the new cases came from the national capital region, followed by regions 3 and 7 with 10% each
- 86 of 758 (more than 10%) were AIDS Cases
- 727 of 758 were male (by birth)
- 220/758 came from the age group 15-24, with the 25-34 age group contributing 396 of the 758 new cases
- 5 pregnant women were newly diagnosed for November
- There were 21 deaths reported
- 243 of the 758 cases reported BISEXUAL contacts
- One (1) mother to child (baby girl) case was reported for November
- 36 adolescents were reported as new cases (10-19 years old)
- 31 / 758 cases reported having accepted payment for sex , while 45 reported to have paid for sex
These in mind, there is still a great need for a more robust outreach program to reach the hard-to-reach population. Also, there is a growing bisexual-contact reported on a monthly basis so there may be a need for health providers to be more proactive in initiating counseling and testing.
To date, we still do not see a disaggregated report among the transgenders.
So again, get tested please. There are a lot of testing facilities offering free HIV screening, plus the ongoing community-based HIV screening (CBS) which allows for a wider reach and a confidential non-clinic based HIV screening at the community level.
So, again, please get tested. If you have questions about screening, you may reach various organizations and volunteers out there. Some are:
- HIV & AIDS Support House
- Action for Health Initiative
- The Love Project – through volunteers Mico and Toshi
If you’re on twitter, here are some counselors on twitter:
@dvocateHIV @edbusim @tomasito153 @jake_positive @fauxpositif @sutilako @tgp_moshimoyaho @Nak_ng_Tokwa @angelosmith123 @marcy_oculto Females @iAmTokneneng